When a new user digs into the oil world, he will see a wide range of variety. There will be different types of natural and synthetic oils. Here comes the point of confusion as to which one is good, the basic difference between them, and how to use each one. Don’t be depressed! We come here to help you in this situation. This comprehensive guide article about Fragrance Oil Vs. Essential Oil encompasses all the basic differences of both oils, their characteristics, different types, uses, pros, and cons, etc.
Fragrance Oil Vs. Essential Oil: Main Difference
The elements they are manufactured of, their fragrance and method, fragrance oils, and essential oils are different; somewhere, they are the same. However, some basic differences must be considered based on the project intention.
The main difference between fragrance oils and essential oils is that fragrance oils are lab-based creations, on the other hand, essential oils comprised of natural ingredients. We can also say that the main difference lies between the ingredients of each Oil and the source of origin of each ingredient.
Fragrance Oil Vs. Essential Oil: A Comparison Table
|Fragrance Oil||Essential Oils|
|Origin||Fragrant plant parts & artificial ingredients||Fragrant plant parts|
|Uses||Perfumed candles, room sprays, scent, body lotion||Aromatherapy, sprays, cleaners, soaps|
|Expiry date||6-12 months||2-15 years|
|Example||Pumpkin spice, French vanilla, cherry blossom||Peppermint, lavender, bergamot, grapefruit|
What is Fragrance Oil?
Fragrance oil is artificial and comes to mimic a naturally stirring fragrance. However, they are manufactured in a lab, which means that not all perfume oils come from nature.
Types of Fragrance Oil
The fragrance oil is categorized into two types;
- Synthetic Oil
- Natural Oil
Synthetic oils are made from synthetic (artificial) chemical ingredients which do not exist naturally. Numerous viable products choose synthetic oils as they last longer than natural fragrances.
Some synthetic perfume oils may contain more than 80 chemical ingredients, so these are perfume oils. On make-up labels, synthetic perfume oils can be labeled scent, fragrance, perfume oil, or perm.
These perfumes are also artificial and manufactured in a lab. This name is due to their manufacturing process while separating naturally occurring scent ingredients from a complex fragrance.
These comprise limonene from lemons, vanilla from vanilla beans, and geraniol from roses. These oils are accessible for you to choose from if you have sensitive skin, allergies to special fragrances, or use them as a gift for someone with allergic skin.
Expiry Period of Fragrance Oils
The average expiration time of fragrance oil is from 6-12 months. However, it may vary according to the manufacturing ingredients. They may last longer than this if you store them in the right conditions, i.e., in a cool, dark place.
You can easily analyze if the perfume oil is spoiled, if it smells bad, disappears or is different, or if the scent is faster than usual.
- Fragrance oil comes in more than 200 types.
- They are more stable in low-temperature procedural detergent.
- Moreover, these oils are non-allegorical and safe for the skin.
- You will see their uses in soaps, lotions, bath bombs, and others.
- Fragrance oil can mimic scents that do not exist in nature.
- They are easily affordable and simple to create.
- They are artificial.
- Some of these oils can hasten and fade in cold procedural soap.
- These oils can expire faster than essential oils.
- It does not have particular medical advantages.
What are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are powerful oils that originated from fragrant plant parts. They include roots, herbs, or flowers to attain their useful assets, fragrances, and flavors. Essential oils are entirely oils and are “clean”. It clarifies that they have not been thinned, combined or treated, and are free from any extracts.
Essential oils have been used for centuries in ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome. They are popular for their perfumed possessions and their use in aromatherapy and deliberation.
Types of Essential Oils
About 90+ kinds of essential oils have their special perfume, different advantages, and health entitlements. Some of them are given here;
- Roman chamomile
- Ylang ylang
- Basil oil
Characteristics of Essential Oils
Essential oils have a strong fragrance. They are the best choice to perfume a room. You can use these oils as a fragrance source in the following way;
- Perfumed candles
- Scents and aftershaves
- Room and dress sprays
- Fragrant soaps
Essential oils are extracted from naturally existing plant components. They are 100% safe to use in minute doses. However, they are used in medicinal properties. But you should ensure that you have checked the label before feasting. If you have other related quarries, you can consult with your doctor.
Essential oils are claimed to have therapeutic possessions. They contain antidepressant-like effects and give natural support during pregnancy. Moreover, essential oils play an important role to soothe the headache and other minor issues.
Expiry Period of Essential Oils
Essential oils are extracted from natural plants, including roots, herbs, etc. they proved longer than synthetic oils. However, the exact time span of each oil type is based on the actual ingredient quality. Some of them will last for two years, while others will work for 15 years. But you should remember that good storage, dealing, and dose amounts all may affect the permanency of your Oil’s life span.
The process of oxidation inevitably expires the oils. It leads them to lose their strength and nutritious and useful effects. If someone has lost the scent of Oil, discolored, darkened, or faded, he can confirm the rest of his essential oils from expiration. If you are not sure, make a mistake and set off your Oil safely.
- Essential oils are made of natural ingredients.
- They are 100% real.
- You can select your preferred flavors, including tea tree, lavender, and red gum.
- Moreover, you can also make mixtures for more complexity.
- Essential oils are not available in a wide range of selection.
- Some of them can quickly disappear in cold procedural detergent.
- You cannot use some of them in leave-on products.
- Moreover, some basic essential oils are dangerous for health security.
Fragrance Oil Vs. Essential Oil: Uses of Both Oils
Nowadays, the main question of all people who first venture into the world of oils and perfumes is how to use them?
It is largely based on the type and purpose of Oil you are going to use. However, here we mentioned some general uses for both fragrance and essential oils;
- You can use them as a room spray or a daily cleanser
- They are good to customize perfume and candles.
- They are also widely used to deter bugs and make soap.
You can see that your usage method is entirely based on your purpose and type. You should also remember that essential oils make them safe when they are used in diffusers.
On the other hand, fragrance oils may not be secure to use in a diffuser. In addition, they can damage some of them because of their organic ingredients.
However, synthetic oil can be used in the following ways;
Making candles needs full attention and real measurement. These are the best steps to make;
- First, melt the required wax; soy wax is the best recommendation.
- Now measure the amount of synthetic Oil you are going to add.
- Keep in mind that the candle size will depend on the project.
- Generally, you should use one ounce per pound of wax. Otherwise, you may face improper candle burning and health insecurity.
Use a fragrance oil burner:
This old method is based on the basin used to put on a heat source like a candle. It is similar to a diffuser. In this method, you have to put a few drops (1-5) of Oil in the basin and thin it with water. Then, at heating mixtures, it fades into the air. In this way, it will permit the scent to feast into the room.
Make an air freshener spray:
Creating an air freshener spray is one of the easiest tasks. Here are simple steps of it;
- Find an empty spray bottle and put a few required oil drops.
- Now, fill up the bottle with water
- Shake it elegantly to ensure its overall mixture.
- Finally, your air freshener is ready to spray around the room and spread the scent.
Create bath salts:
Before proceeding with this project, ensure that the selected Oil is not dangerous for the skin. Before spending money, it is recommended to check the ingredients list. Now, if you are confident about health security, start your procedure by following;
- Mix systematic Epsom salt with the Oil.
- You should place four drops per one salt cup.
Make a packet:
Here you can use fragrance oil to scent or perfume a drawer or closet. See here how;
- You should have a small cloth, Oil, and baking soda.
- Mix the baking soda and Oil.
- You should not use more than one drop of oil per 1/8 cup of baking soda.
- Now, fill up the cloth with the mixture, tie it tightly and place it in the drawer or closet.
- In this way, your dried flower and herbal sachet are ready to spread perfume.
Make your DIY foot or body scrub:
If you want to pamper yourself, you should not skip this project. However, before proceeding, make sure the Oil is safe for the skin.
- Next, put a cup of cinnamon in a mixing bowl before slowly putting in the coconut or olive oil.
- Mix till it is granular and slightly wet.
- Now, place a few fragrance oil drops and shake all ingredients.
- Your scrub is ready to exfoliate your skin.
Adapt your perfume:
Sometimes store perfumes have too much of a stunning smell and contain allegoric chemicals. You can modify it to create your perfume. Follow the steps to create it in your own way;
- Fill the bottle with purified water and magician hazel.
- Now add the desired Oil and shake it thoroughly.
- Try to add one cup of water per 10-ounce bottle, half cup of sorceress hazel, and 10-20 oil drops.
For all the projects mentioned above, you must ensure not to use too much fragrance oil. Otherwise, you will face eyes, skin, nose, and throat irritation. That’s why thinning is a must, as it keeps track of total oil drops.
Fragrance Oil Vs. Essential Oil: Which One Is Good?
The answer depends on the project type you need Oil for. For some projects, fragrance oils are the best choice; on the other hand, for some, essential Oil is the recommended selection. Let’s consider this with an example;
Fragrance oil will work for longer than natural oils if it has a powerful scent mixture used in candles and detergents. However, the essential oil is the best choice if someone wants to get health benefits or needs natural fragrance. In comparison, synthetic Oil is good for those who want to smell a combination of different scents.
After all, the perfume oil you use depends on your choice. It is a chance to make your aromatherapy surrounding, either using a viscous or homemade product. That’s why first of all you have to decide the project’s nature and purpose and then choose the best Oil. After the final decision, follow the appropriate procedure.
The world of oils can easily intermingle with a wide range of options and ways of doing things. We value this, and that is why we have written this guide article to help you distinguish between fragrance and essential oils. Here we also described how to use fragrance or essential oil to customize your products and add perfume to your room.
Both oils have their unique pros and cons. Now it’s up to you to choose the best one according to your project, requirements, and budget.
Here is something more to check;